We are looking for someone with a minimum of five years' experience working in Civil or Structural Engineering to act as lead or sole designer on a variety of projects, from inception through to completion. Due to the nature of the projects, you must have a degree in Civil or Structural Engineering. You will be supervising and mentoring a team of junior engineers and technician staff and leadership experience will be an essential criteria. This is an exciting time to be working for us as the scope of projects would suit someone looking for their next challenge. We would welcome all applications from the right candidate who has a can do attitude.
- Report to and take direction from Partner/Associate in Civil and Structural Engineering Group
- Manage projects from inception to completion to ensure that they are issued to programme, to the required quality standard and within the budget set by the Partner
- Act as lead or sole designer as appropriate to size of particular project
- Prepare reports and general correspondence as required in connection with the running of projects
- Undertake scheme and detailed design as appropriate on individual projects, including preparation of detailed design calculations, checking drawings and other deliverables as appropriate
- Supervise and mentor more junior engineers and technician staff in the team
- Undertake survey inspections and produce written reports in good English on findings with appropriate recommendations
- When required by the Partner, assist other members of the Team to complete tasks, particularly in relation to meeting project deadlines.
- Liaise with other members of the design and construction team, representing the Civil and Structural Engineering Group
- Assist in preparing design programmes for production deliverables
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- A Degree specifically in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Member of Institution of Civil Engineers or Institution of Structural Engineers
- Minimum of 5 years design experience on building structures projects in UK
- Experience of leading a team including junior engineers and technicians
- Competent and reliable designer in structural steelwork, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber
- Experience of refurbishment and change of use designs as well as new build work
- Familiar and empathetic with all forms of building construction
- Able to produce written reports in good English
- Proficient in the use of analysis and design software (TEDDS, TSD, etc)
- Hold current UK driving licence
Essential Personal Skills
- Self-starter, motivated
- Able to work with minimal supervision but provider of continual feedback to line manager
- Team worker
- Good communicator
- Good people management skills
- Personable and confident
- Able to work on own initiative
Training and Development:
The Practice is keen to assist individuals in developing any work related professional interests. The Practice takes training seriously, providing practical and financial assistance to all personnel.
Calfordseaden is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to and support the principles of equality of opportunity in employment, training and service delivery.
Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006:
We are required under this Act to ensure that all Employees have the right to work in the UK and the right to do the work offered. Therefore, at interview all potential Employees must provide original documentation that demonstrates their right to work in the UK. Photocopies of documents provided will be retained on the successful applicant’s file.
If you would like to apply for this vacancy, please click the Apply Now button on the right.