calfordseaden has been appointed by the London Borough of Southwark to provide multi-disciplinary services including employers agents, cost consultants, and engineers to deliver a wholesale refurbishment of the 25 storey tower block in a dominating position in the estate close to Southwark park.
The plans for the scheme including the design and installation of five additional floors to provide private sale apartments at the top of the building, and the modernisation and sale of a number of existing lower floors as part of the business case to fund the overall development.
Our team of Employer’s Agents has been holding regular resident consultation sessions with the existing residents and local resident groups who will be affected by the proposed development. We have been discussing the general issues and concerns residents of on the estate, and the council’s intention to provide benefit to the estate in the form of improvements and new facilities. A budget has been allocated for residents to spend on the improvements they would like to see made.
The initial enabling works phase to strip out each flat back to the concrete structure is currently in progress; this included the removal of a large quantity of asbestos materials, ahead of the larger refurbishment including the addition of five storeys to the tower and construction of a new build block elsewhere on the site to provide additional residential accommodation.
Scope of works:
- Strip out of existing building including asbestos removal
- Additional five storeys added as a vertical extension
- New heating/hot water distribution throughout
- Alterations to district heating system to separate adjacent blocks
- Demolition of podium
- Relocation of community centre into a refurbished tower block to free up development space elsewhere on the site
- New build apartments
- New hard and soft landscaping scheme