calfordseaden is a leading multi-disciplined construction and property consultancy. We provide a definitive range of services to the UK building and construction industry covering civil & structural engineering, chartered building & quantity surveying, project management, architecture & master planning, mechanical & electrical engineering, sustainability, building information modelling and health & safety.
Working within a busy group of Civil and Structural Engineers, the Senior Engineer should be professionally dedicated, innovative and enthusiastic with a flexible approach to work. Reporting to the Partner in charge of the department, the Senior Engineer will be responsible for the timely and cost effective management of projects to which they are allocated. Interaction with Clients and other members of the Design Team will be a key undertaking of the position. The role will include inspection and reporting on existing structures, Party Wall Engineering reviews, detailed design of structural elements, team and project management and business development. They should pay attention to detail and be adaptable with a good command of the English language, and have an organised, mature and professional attitude.
- Report to, and take direction from, the Partner(s) in the Civil and Structural Engineering Group.
- Manage projects from inception to completion to ensure that deliverables are issued to programme, to the required quality standard and within the budget set by the Partner.
- Act as lead or sole designer as appropriate to size of particular project.
- Prepare reports, general correspondence, etc. as required in connection with the running of projects.
- Undertake scheme and detailed design as appropriate on individual projects, including preparation of detailed design calculations, checking drawings and other deliverables.
- Supervise and mentor other Engineers and Technicians within the team.
- Undertake survey inspections and produce written reports in good English.
- Review structural information for ‘Adjoining Owner’ in respect of Party Wall Awards and provide comment in clear written English
- When required by the Partner, assist other members of the Team to complete tasks, particularly in relation to meeting project deadlines.
- Liaise with other members of the design and construction team, representing the Civil and Structural Engineering Group.
- Preparing design programmes for production deliverables.
- Financial and resource management of projects.
- Team Development, work winning and Client management.
- Assisting in pursuing late payments by Clients.
- A Degree specifically in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years design experience on building structures projects in UK.
- Experience in projects with construction values in excess of £40M.
- Competent and reliable designer in structural steelwork, reinforced concrete, masonry and timber.
- Experienced in refurbishment and change of use designs as well as new build work.
- Excellent knowledge of standard engineering practices, techniques and procedures.
- A high level of understanding of project management principles and practices.
- Familiar and empathetic with all forms of building construction.
- Good attention to detail.
- Able to produce written reports in good English.
- Good command of English (spoken and written).
- Self-starter, motivated, personable and confident.
- Able to work with minimal supervision but provider of continual feedback to Partner in Charge.
- Team worker with good communication and people management skills through a mature and professional attitude.
- Able to work on own initiative but accept guidance or constructive criticism.
- Hold current UK driving license.
- Proactive individual with the ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Chartered Engineer (CEng) and Member of Institution of Civil Engineers (MICE) or Institution of Structural Engineers (MIStructE).
- Current experience of leading and managing structural engineering design projects.
- Sound knowledge of construction contracts and professional agreements and experience in negotiating fee agreements.
- Proficient in the use of analysis and design software (TEDDS, TSD, etc).
- Experience of working in a multi-disciplinary practice.
- Experience in technical leadership, team building and motivation.
- Training in all Company software will be given.
Training and Development
The Practice is keen to assist individuals in developing work related professional interests. The Practice takes training seriously, providing practical and financial assistance to all personnel.
Calfordseaden is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to and support the principles of equality of opportunity in employment, training and service delivery.
Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006: List of Documents
The Practice is required under this Act to ensure that all Employees have the right to work in the UK and the right to do the work offered.
At interview all potential Employees must provide one of the original documents set out in List A or two of the original documents in the combinations given in List B (Please see Supporting Document 1). It is not necessary to produce documents from both lists.
Photocopies of documents provided will be retained on the successful applicant’s file.
This job description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and may include other duties and responsibilities as may be determined. It is not intended to be rigid or inflexible but should be regarded as providing guidelines within which the individual works.
Under General Data Protection Act 2018 all employees are responsible for records held, created or used as part of their work for calfordseaden, whether paper-based or electronic, which also includes emails. Records should be managed and stored appropriately and should in all cases comply with the requirements of the ACT.
The appointment is subject to proof of the attainment of any qualifications deemed essential to the post and used as a basis for shortlisting and selection. Failure to provide evidence of the required qualifications will result in the offer of employment being withdrawn.