Calfordseaden are an award winning multi-disciplinary construction practice, with offices in Winchester, London, Kent, Essex, Cambridge and Birmingham. The vacancy is for a Building Surveying Student, who is looking for a placement starting in Summer 2021. The successful candidate will work from the Winchester office.
- Assisting senior team members in the management of projects, this will include – visit site, preparing drawing reviews, draft change instructions and notice of payments for review by senior team members.
- Receiving Client instructions
- Surveying and reporting on residential, commercial and education properties.
- This is a Client facing role and will include chairing meetings, presentations, resident meetings and the like. There may a requirement to attend out of hours meetings from time to time e.g. resident and leaseholder stakeholder meetings.
- Knowledge of JCT contracts (both Contract Administration and Employer’s Agent roles) would be useful.
- Carrying out inspections so a knowledge of Building pathology / defects diagnosis is useful.
- Ability to use AutoCAD is preferable.
- Demonstrate good oral, written communication and personal presentation as the role is client facing.
- You will be required to prepare professionally written reports to a high standard.
- You will need to demonstrate your resilience as this position attracts a high volume of work and at times, can be a pressured environment.
- Be organised and prioritise own workload to meet tight deadlines.
- Be able to work under own initiative and also as part of a team.
- You will be required to drive between sites so need to have access to own vehicle and a clean driving licence.
The interview will take place at calfordseaden’s Winchester office (Covid dependent). As part of the interview the candidate will be interview by two members of the current team and they will be required to prepare a brief, 5-minute presentation on a surveying topic (to be decided).
Should the successful candidate perform well there will be opportunities for future employment beyond the placement year.
Our multi-award winning business has retained its family culture and values where the health and wellbeing of our staff is taken seriously. We have a well-being initiative ‘Healthy Together’ and an active staff social club where you will get the opportunity to meet other colleagues for social and fun occasions and build friendships along the way.
To be identified as a trusted client advisor; national in reach, local in service and selected for our quality and expertise in the build environment.
- Professional Integrity
- Technical Expertise
- Solution Focused
- Reliable Personal Service
Training and Development
The Practice is keen to assist individuals in developing work related professional interests. The Practice takes training seriously, providing practical and financial assistance to all personnel.
Calfordseaden is an Equal Opportunities Employer and is committed to and support the principles of equality of opportunity in employment, training and service delivery.
Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006: List of Documents
The Practice is required under this Act to ensure that all Employees have the right to work in the UK and the right to do the work offered.
At interview all potential Employees must provide one of the original documents set out in List A or two of the original documents in the combinations given in List B (Please see Supporting Document 1). It is not necessary to produce documents from both lists.
Photocopies of documents provided will be retained on the successful applicant's file.
This job description will be subject to review in the light of changing circumstances and may include other duties and responsibilities as may be determined. It is not intended to be rigid or inflexible but should be regarded as providing guidelines within which the individual works.
Under General Data Protection Act 2018 all employees are responsible for records held, created or used as part of their work for calfordseaden, whether paper-based or electronic, which also includes emails. Records should be managed and stored appropriately and should in all cases comply with the requirements of the ACT.
The appointment is subject to proof of the attainment of any qualifications deemed essential to the post and used as a basis for shortlisting and selection. Failure to provide evidence of the required qualifications will result in the offer of employment being withdrawn.